Ons Jabeur makes more history for Arab women at Wimbledon | Aaj Sport

Ons Jabeur makes more history for Arab women at Wimbledon

England's WIMBLEDON Ons Jabeur can now add the distinction of being the first Arab woman to make it all the way to the semifinals of a Grand Slam tournament to her long list of "firsts."

The third-seeded Tunisian outperformed her Wimbledon quarterfinal performance from the previous year at the grass-court Grand Slam competition. On Center Court, she defeated Marie Bouzkova 3-6, 6-1, 6-1.

The No. 2 player in the world, Jabeur, 27, said, "It means a lot." For a very long time, I had been wanting to reach this point. Hicham Arazi, a former Moroccan player, and I got into a brief conversation. He said, "Arabs always lose in the quarterfinals and we are sick of it." Please destroy this. My friend, I'll try, was how I felt.

She did try, that much is certain.

Tatjana Maria, a first-time participant in this round at a significant tournament, will meet Jabeur in the semifinals.

The 34-year-old German, who twice had to take time off from tennis to have kids, made her 35th appearance at a Grand Slam tournament and advanced to the semifinals for the first time. On No. 1 Court, she defeated Jule Niemeier, 22, 4-6, 6-2, 7-5.

Source

Maria and Jabeur get along well.

"I'm very glad for her that she's receiving the justice she deserves. I am aware of her numerous struggles, Jabeur remarked. "Returning to work after having two children is difficult. There will be a lot of respect between us, so it will be a terrific contest.

For Arab athletes, Jabeur has recently broken record after record. At the Australian Open in 2020, she made history by becoming the first Arab woman to advance past the quarterfinals of a Grand Slam competition. She made history in 2021 by becoming the first Arab player to reach the top 10 in either the men's or women's rankings, winning the WTA title, and setting a record run to the Wimbledon quarterfinals.

On the grass at the All England Club, things have been going even better for Jabeur this year. She had little trouble in any of her first four matches, which she won in straight sets.

That changed when she faced Bouzkova, a 23-year-old Czech who had never advanced past the second round of a major competition. However, Bouzkova's excellent start did not continue into the second set.

Jabeur remarked, "She gets all the balls and doesn't make it easy for me to win a point." "I'm happy I intervened with my game. In the second set, I was more assertive, and I played some angles that she didn't particularly enjoy, particularly from a tactical standpoint.

Maria did the same thing; she dropped the first set before winning the next two. With the victory, she became just the sixth woman to turn 34 and make it to the Wimbledon semifinals.

Billie Jean King, Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert, Venus Williams, and Serena Williams, the preceding five women, won a total of 30 titles at the All England Club throughout the course of their respective careers.
Maria, who has previously been to the third round of a major only once, at Wimbledon in 2015, remarked, "To be in a list of such great players, it's unbelievable." I still find it hard to accept that my name is there in the same place.

Maria is making her tenth appearance at the All England Club after having two children and having to take two breaks. She gave birth to her first daughter in 2013 and her second in 2021.

Despite this remarkable run at Wimbledon, family has always come first since the birth of the children.

"I believe that being a mom to my two children is the most important thing in my life. Nothing will alter this, declared Maria. I'm in the Wimbledon semifinal, which is incredible, but I'm still a mother. Immediately following this, I'll head over there to see my kids and continue doing what I always do.

Up until March, Maria was outside the top 250, but she has since climbed back to No. 103.

She lost in the first round of the U.S. Open shortly after coming back from her second maternity leave. She fell short in the opening round of both the Australian Open and the French Open this year, the majors.

Maria stated, "I always believed that I have something inside, that I can achieve this. "I've always believed in this, but to be in this place right now... My second daughter was born a year ago. It would be absurd if someone told me you were in the Wimbledon semifinals a year later.

Content Source :


You may like reading the following News also:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rejuvenate CBD Gummies For ED- Aaj Sport

Semenax Reviews and Benefits?

Cannaverda CBD Gummies-Aaj Sport